27 February 2007

old school



I just found these this a.m. in a sewing basket I haven't peeked in for a while. I started these probably 7 or 8 years ago (egads!) when I was just starting to give in to the idea that the "crafty" stuff the women in my family did might not be so lame after all. I was fresh out of design school, armed with an intimate knowledge of making furniture with really big tools that had spinning blades that could chop a whole arm off. Dainty thread and silly things made in front of the tv weren't 'real' artistic endeavors. I was the authentic one in the family, for Pete's sake!


So I dipped a toe in the this girlie crafty stuff with these little embroideries. They were supposed to be a series of the 'formula' I so despise that people have for a living room: couch, love seat, matching recliners with matching antimacassars in place, a coffee table, two end tables, a floor lamp and two table lamps. I have no idea what I though I would do with them, but they sure were fun. I definitely need to finish them.


And I sure am glad I got over my big self and started exploring what these women were doing. There is a great, tender history in what the women who raised me have made and shared.

No comments: