14 February 2007

spit up smock, con't!

Here are the pics from my whip up adventures last night. I've never really done anything piecey, so this was pretty fun...

First- I picked the best tattered parts of the towel to use -




Then I made sure my choc chips were close by (the only sweet thing in the house, I was jonesing), took some measurements off of other bibs that fit Mlle. Lovely pretty well, and guesstimated how long the smock should be to cover her belly and be able to drape over my shoulder.




First cut - the back of the bib. I just drew on the neck hole spot. I loved that I didn't need to worry about wrecking the fabric.




Detail of the pieces I cut & puzzled together.


I decided to pin the neck & stitch before cutting the neck hole since I was leaving seams raw anyways. Easier to handle.



Yikes, photos/light was pretty rough... at any rate, I also stitched around the tatters to stave off unravelling, as well as highlight that these imperfections were the endearing focus of the design. Kind of like birthmarks, they are beautiful...




Mlle. Lovely was asleep, so I borrowed a model from her. Bad image, sorry, but it gives an idea of the layout.



And now my big dilemma is which fastener to go with. I've ruled out using strips of the towel to make ties- too cumbersome, I think snaps would be better. I have wicked vintage snaps that were my great-grandmother's (she was a seamstress), I have been saving these for years for only the most special of the special projects... but I also have a few pearl snaps. I love the cards that Nani's snaps are on- so incredibly cool. But I think I will go with the pearl snaps- a shout out to the wild west we call home. Plus, they are stronger than the dainty snaps. And I'm thinking that I need to frame Nani's snap cards & keep them just like they are in my studio!


Hopefully I will have a picture of Mlle. Cranklee McStinkbottom modeling her new recycled kitchen towel quilted spit up smock posted this evening. Teething be damned, she's gonna model it and look adorable for her tired mama!

No comments: