21 June 2007

inspiration overload!


I have been a big, big fan of Rae Dunn's work since my husband & I went for coffee one night when we were dating. We were sitting in the shop on Prospect Ave, having a big, wonderful discussion about our big picture goals, regrets, hopes & wishes. I was wearing my favorite camel coat with the industrial sized snaps, and it was snowy. I knew I loved him, and definitely wanted to marry him, but this night made those feelings multiply by at least 843- we weren't just dreamy and lovey-dovey, we were honest about our faults but filled with hope nonetheless. Anything- everything- seemed possible.


My lovely date said he would go get the car, and I wandered through the tea pots and mugs and tee-shirts absent-mindedly in the shop... and then bam! Two mugs that absolutely encapsulated that perfect date were sitting right in front of me- ivory, perfectly imperfectly shaped and simply stamped, one with the word "create" and the other "begin".


I presented them as a prize that night, and they are cozily tucked into our kitchen- still very much prizes.


The mugs were designed by Rae Dunn, and I found more of her work and just went nuts for it. Wabi sabi, simple, lovely, heartfelt and not too cute (know what I mean?)- it is all just right. When I finally got to open my (now defunct) shop, I was all excited that I could sell her work from Magenta Inc- but darn it, my pal Hayden up the street had beaten me to the punch.


Ok- my point is this- I just discovered that Rae has a blog, and she is just as wonderful as you would hope of someone whose work you admire. Indeed, I am on inspiration overload!


Even more overload? As if this isn't enough? Rae & her friend Basak just launched a new line of letterpress goods. They, too, are just right.



No comments: