08 June 2007

bookish bag

Update: This project was posted a few weeks back, but I wanted to share it with WhipUppers! In a nutshell, it is a library tote & the design references (ha ha) books on a shelf.

I pieced 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inch wide strips of fabric for the books & added length of my background fabric (white) to extend to the top of the bag. I simply folded the sewn strips in half & stitched up the sides to create the tote. I added a lining with a pocket & a nice long strap.... voila. Read on for the rest of the story!

(Begin original post)


Am so excited to share this!


Will be giving it as a belated gift to my mother for mother's day tomorrow when we arrive home for a visit. Finally can write about it!

My mother works in tech services in a library, and she is forever lugging books back & forth. In keeping with the library theme, the design is based on a shelf of books. Can you tell? It's lined, and I have one little pocket for a libray card inside.


I adore this bag- so, so fun to make! I love wing-it sewing projects- no pattern, just a spark of an idea and go! Wouldn't this be great as a quilt?! One "shelf" of books stretching across the top (or bottom?) of the blanket? For a quilt, this might work better as applique.

This blog will be very quiet until we return... happy June!


*
whipup

2 comments:

Carlene said...

Books on a bookbag! This is just so cool. I'm sure your mom loved it. You have such great, original ideas.

Amy said...

Oh how adorable! I am thinking my 2 year old and I will need to start visiting the library this fall. The first time she entered a bookstore at about the age of 13 months she began shreaking with delite! That kid loves her books mroe than her babies or teddys! I think this style of bag is just the ticket!!!! I might have to add her favorite book names to the books though! Great idea!